Monday, May 10, 2010

My sister's heart

At approximately 8:30 central time on Tuesday morning, May 11th my lovely sister T. Marie will undergo open heart surgery. It is estimated to last 3 hours. There is a 95 per cent chance they will be able to repair her prolapsed valve. She is in terrific health otherwise and the prognosis is really good.


I have heard about several open heart surgeries on friends parents or grandparents. All seemed to have good outcomes. Most of them were double or triple or quadruple bypasses. Comments were made.


It is so routine these days.


Happens all of the time.


They've really gotten it down to a science. (?)


It surely seems different when it is my younger sister. It is hard to imagine them cutting her sternum and spreading her chest although I have seen it all on television. They will ventilate her and put her on a bypass machine so that they can stop her heart to work on the valve. There will be a team working, doctors barking orders, anesthesiologists reciting stats, just like on TV.


But it will be my sister under that sheet and mask. My sister who I shared a bed with for years. My sister who I love. 


There is no reason to think anything will go wrong.


And yet...


Please hold my sister in the light.



Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At May 11, 2010 at 12:37 AM , Blogger undercover caterer said...

WHAAAT? I'll be thinking of her all day tomorrow. Keep us posted, please.
xoxox

 
At May 11, 2010 at 5:19 AM , Blogger Laura - Are We Nearly There Yet Mummy? said...

I hope everything went well. Thinking of you. xxx

 
At May 11, 2010 at 7:52 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I'm holding your sister and your entire family in my heart all day today.

 
At May 11, 2010 at 12:38 PM , Blogger Mama Goose said...

Holding you all tightly. Wishing for nothing but good news.

 
At May 11, 2010 at 3:12 PM , Blogger Merrily Down the Stream said...

T's surgery went well - they scale the leakage from 1 - 4, with 4 being most severe. T's was 4+ pre-surgery on transesophogial echo, and now is nothing. She is now off the respirator and resting although in pain. The next 24 hours are critical. But all is looking good. Thank you for your kind words and vigil - please hold her up with me for the next 24 hours. xoxox

 
At May 11, 2010 at 3:39 PM , Blogger Elizabeth and Gary said...

I will be thinking of Marie today. Nothing is routine when its happening to the one we love. My Dad had triple bypass and I know what he went through, its not easy and she will need help around the house for a while. The good lord will look after Marie..
Please let us know how she is doing.
Big hugs for you and Marie. I have a sister too and I know how you are feeling....
Elizabeth

 
At May 12, 2010 at 5:17 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

my best friends mom is undergoing surgery tomorrow. :/ I'll be thinking of your sister and her mom

 
At May 12, 2010 at 8:35 PM , Blogger EatPlayLove said...

thinking of you, hoping she has a speedy recovery. Glad to hear the surgery went well.

 
At May 15, 2010 at 2:17 PM , Blogger mixtape said...

Hope all went well.

 
At June 1, 2010 at 7:00 AM , Blogger Vodka Mom said...

I pray that all went well. xx

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home