Friday, February 27, 2009

How the other 2% live...

Gapetto went to his 25 year college reunion last summer and met up 
with many of his old fraternity brothers. Not only did he have a 
fabulous time - he also made a lot of great business connections. 
We have gotten a fair amount of work from that little walk down 
memory lane.

So.

This past Saturday his (and now my) fabulous friend and client J along with his business partner Ms. Brit flew us up to NYC to see a Nicks game! Seriously. Gapetto and I are not exactly what you would call sports fans but who doesn't want to say they saw the Knicks in Madison Square Garden? Far be it from me to refuse an offer like that.

But then.

In order to save the aforementioned friends/clients some money we took a flight with one connection to New York - weather looked good here in the Deep South and in NYC. Oops! Forgot to check the weather in Milwaukee...

We left ATL airport at noon. Mid-flight we were informed of a fairly formidable storm raging over Milwaukee so we went to South Bend - home of the Fighting Irish (I'm getting my game on now). We buzzed Notre Dame campus, landed and were taken to a giant room with vending machines and bathrooms and were held hostage for two and a half hours. Because we weren't ticketed to be in South Bend there was no going out into the airport proper. Not that there was much there I expect as the whole operation looked pretty small.

We then boarded (outside walk to plane in sideways wind) and we waited. On to the blizzard! As we approached Milwaukee we went into a figure 8 holding pattern. Turns out they were closing the airport every hour or so to plow the runways. As we landed we were told that we were the last plane allowed to land as the airport closed again. Overnight in Milwaukee anyone???

But. They found us a connecting flight to NJ and told us to RUN! So we did. And those midwest airport folks can sure check out a license. I ran ahead as they stripped searched Gapetto only to see the flight gone from the board at the gate. Nice lady told me it just fell off the board! The flight that we were to take couldn't land in Milwaukee cause we were the last flight in. Anyway we finally took off after waiting for runways and airports and de-icing and rerouting and waiting for runways and de-icing and rerouting and ...

We took the train into the city and walked to our friends L&M's fabulous Chelsea loft. It was ten to midnight. I drank an orange juice and went to bed. Big night in the city.

Next morning we took a train to West Port CT to spend some time with J and family. What a gorgeous town. I was drooling every where I went. Did I mention I am a house freak? That I would own 697 of them if I could? Their house was way cool and comfortable and big. We had a lovely time.

Next day back to the city to meet clients for happy hour and off to the Knicks. Game was lame until we left - then it became a squeaker. Watched the rest back at L&M's swank loft. It was so nice to spend an evening with them.

Next morning back home.

Day after that -  crabby - and I mean CRABBY! And I realized that I had completely lost my equilibrium.

I was traveling all over and visiting People-With-Money and I got all mixed up. We (like most) are struggling some. But I have a feeling it wouldn't really matter what we made it would never be quite be enough. (Not so good in the $ department- wrong side of brain)

I had to have a serious talk with myself. I have enough - I have a husband I love and children I am proud of - not to mention absolutely crazy about. Our house is adorable. Life is rich and there is abundance all around me - not money - but important kinds of abundance like love and respect and friends and networks and...

Not everyone gets to be a jet setter and as it turns out living like one for a few days made me REALLY tired.

I had to take to the bay-yud.


Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

At February 27, 2009 at 11:32 AM , Blogger Katie said...

I know what you mean... the grass is always greener and all that. But what you have? Family, friends, love, and respect... that is way more enviable than that other stuff. :) But it sure is fun to participate in that other world every once in a while, eh?

-Katie :)

 
At February 27, 2009 at 11:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so understand. 98% of the time I'm pretty content with where we're at - as I tell my husband, when you don't have any money, you don't have any to lose! But material wealth has nothing on what we've got - and you, too. I enjoyed the post.

 
At February 27, 2009 at 11:50 AM , Blogger undercover caterer said...

It's fun to dabble in the good life once in a while, isn't it? (Except for the part about airplanes and blizzards).

 
At February 27, 2009 at 12:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

you could have driven to NYC in less time....i'm just sayin'

It always seems like it would be so much fun to live that CT/NYC life...but tiresome too. I understand your feelings exactly...

 
At February 27, 2009 at 10:54 PM , Blogger Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

I would be the same as you...exhausted and crabby. I don't travel well. And, I don't do well with lots of money, either...well, I've never been that person, but hanging out with them, I mean.

 
At February 28, 2009 at 8:07 AM , Blogger Theresa said...

You were in CT and didn't come to visit? I love it here too. There is even a small landing strip in my town...we have one traffic light and a landing strip. heehee.

 
At March 1, 2009 at 1:13 AM , Blogger Debbie said...

I make it a point to only know people in the same economic level as me:) (Just kidding, of course.)

 
At March 2, 2009 at 11:37 AM , Blogger The Sour Kraut said...

I'm happy to hear you have such richness in your life. (But I'm really, really happy to hear that there is another house freak out there!)

 
At March 8, 2009 at 10:46 AM , Blogger EatPlayLove said...

what a whirlwind tour. I've recently had the 2% feelings and quite frankly I need to get over them. ASAP.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home