Wednesday, February 4, 2009

When irish eyes are smiling...

Laura, my girl over at Are we there yet mummy tagged me to do 
the photo blogstep challenge.

The rules are: go the the 4th folder on your computer where 
you store your pics and pick the 4th photo in it; explain the 
picture and tag 4 others.























Unfortunate arrangement of photos wouldn't you say? As my 
brother R would have said at the time 'what a skag!' I really don't 
know what that EXACTLY meant but it had something to do with 
being unattractive. I have clearly not grown into my teeth yet and 
am long and gangly - I shot up in height very quickly.

This is me at the ripe old age of 9 with my very most favorite uncle 
when I was young - Uncle Tom. He and his wife, my favorite Aunt 
Louise could not have children so they adopted - 2 boys. Aunt Louise 
and my mother are sisters and were very close. They lived a state 
away which seemed very far at the time. We are at a lake 
cabin on vacation in this photo.

Uncle Tom was famous for making us laugh. He would sit you on 
his lap - have you look into his ridiculously mischievous Irish eyes 
and dare you not to laugh before his finger touched your nose. 

Nobody could ever do it.

He and Aunt Louise were so in love - they were my role models 
for marriage and for life. 

They delighted in each others company. 

They would hold hands when they walked. 

They both had a joie de vivre.

Uncle Tom had a stroke at 42 that he survived long before this 
photo was taken. His face was just a little bit lopsided and he 
couldn't play the piano anymore but he really made a miraculous 
recovery. And he lived life as though each day was his last.

He made me feel beautiful.

When he died years later I wrote Aunt Louise of my admiration of 
their marriage. She told my mom I wrote her a beautiful letter. 
When my mother asked her what it said she wouldn't tell her. 
I love her even more for that.

She thought every day with Uncle Tom was a gift. And she thanked God that she had him as long as she did.

Here is to the amazing people who shape our lives - in a good way.
Now go out and enjoy the day.

I tag:

Jax over at Student_Kiwi_Nurse - she just did her first post -
go visit her and say hi


My cous over at Undercover Caterer





Labels: , , , ,

14 Comments:

At February 4, 2009 at 11:41 AM , Blogger Beth Cotell said...

Your aunt and uncle sound like wonderful people.

Skag...that word takes me back to high school...sigh...

 
At February 4, 2009 at 3:54 PM , Blogger su said...

I hope I understand this.... I hope I don't goof it up.. the Procrastinator!

 
At February 5, 2009 at 9:09 AM , Blogger Framed by Grace said...

They sound like wonderful people! Isn't amazing how a picture can "say" so many wonderful things!

 
At February 5, 2009 at 9:10 AM , Blogger The Sour Kraut said...

Loved the post. I had a favorite Irish Uncle Tom who recently passed away. : (

 
At February 5, 2009 at 1:26 PM , Blogger Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

I want to be your aunt and uncle! That sounds perfect. Even though they aren't in the same "place" they still feel the same way as they did when they got married. Maybe even better!

 
At February 5, 2009 at 4:19 PM , Blogger MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

They rocketh, that's for sure. I love this idea. I especially love how a photo has so much more to it than meets the eye.

 
At February 5, 2009 at 5:09 PM , Blogger Debbie said...

Imagine how devastating it would be to have a stroke at 42. God bless him.

 
At February 6, 2009 at 9:57 AM , Blogger Michele R said...

Hi,
I am new to your blog and have enjoyed your stories. I think it is really neat to read that your aunt and uncle adopted their children. Your children are beautiful. I am in GA also (Gwinnett County but lived in-town prior to kids) and am also new to the blogging world.

 
At February 6, 2009 at 12:36 PM , Blogger the mama bird diaries said...

I love old photos.

I've seen this meme around the blogosphere but still don't understand the meaning of the "4th folder"

 
At February 8, 2009 at 10:49 AM , Blogger Jane said...

Oh my goodness, so not a skag!!!

 
At February 9, 2009 at 4:46 AM , Blogger su said...

OK I did it, but I could only come up with 3 folks.. Sorry, does that mean you take away my birthday?

 
At February 11, 2009 at 8:26 PM , Blogger Theresa said...

Hi, I did the meme. Where have you been? I hope all is well.

 
At February 12, 2009 at 4:21 PM , Blogger Real Live Lesbian said...

I love your uncle! What a great story!

 
At February 13, 2009 at 10:28 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely story.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home