Monday, November 17, 2008

The Parents Response (1991)


























[enclosed photograph]

Lawyer for Parents of my Birth Son
Attorney at Law
January 30, 1991

Dear Ms. Merrily:

The parents of the child you gave birth to eleven years ago have asked me to make their initial response to your letter of December 1990. I know that you understand the emotional impact that it has had on them: you anticipated it in your letter. They would like for you to know, however, that they appreciate your feelings. They have been continuously grateful for the gift you gave them.

Their son is healthy, strong, creative, and exceptionally bright. He is as perfect and as beautiful now as when last you saw him. Does he look like you? Yes, the resemblance is remarkable.

In return for the information they are giving you, Bryan's parents would like to know more about you. What is your Social Security number? Does Mr. In-The-Wrong-Place-at-the-Wrong-Time know about their son? May they continue to communicate with you? Would you be willing to authorize their access to your medical records at Birth Hospital?

Anticipating your response, I have enclosed a medical information release form which I would like for you to sign and return to me in the enclosed envelope. Please let me know how you feel about this letter; bridges must be carefully built to avoid harm to those that use them.

Yours truly,
Mr. Lawyer for Parents of my Birth Son

Labels: , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

At November 17, 2008 at 3:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that him? How cute! I love how you are spinning out this tale so slowly...you have me hook, line and sinker...

 
At November 17, 2008 at 7:16 PM , Blogger (In)Sanity Gal said...

Wow. I can't imagine what that all must have felt like - for everyone involved.

 
At November 18, 2008 at 9:32 AM , Blogger Debbie said...

Oh my gosh. He's so cute. How are you? What is this like? I am happy for you that they are being (IMO) fairly open and nice. I want more details!

 
At November 19, 2008 at 12:51 AM , Blogger TRS said...

While the kid is cute... I just cringe at that unfortunately propped picture! Oh the late 80s early 90s were a cruel cruel era!!!

But I love love love what the attorney wrote --- that bridges must be carefully built for the safety of those who traverse them.

How freaking poetic!!! For something so excrutiating.

 
At November 19, 2008 at 2:14 PM , Blogger OhTheJoys said...

Wow.

WOW.

I can't wait to read this story unfold.

 
At November 19, 2008 at 11:32 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I would be so excited to get a letter like that. Except I would wonder what they wanted with your social security number. Do you think they wanted to run a background check on you, to make sure you were who you claimed to be, or to make sure you didn't have a criminal record?

 
At November 20, 2008 at 3:41 AM , Blogger undercover caterer said...

Nice acid wash. But good story...

 
At November 20, 2008 at 6:06 PM , Blogger ewe are here said...

Wow.

And he's quite a nice looking boy.

Wow.

But your social security number should never be provided to just anybody... I'm just sayin'.

 
At December 2, 2008 at 4:52 PM , Blogger alice, uptown said...

Your social security number? Not in this lifetime. You gave them a huge gift -- and now they want to do a background check? It's a little late in the game for that. Wow.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home