Monday, December 22, 2008

Seasonal Serendipity

I stopped by the small in-town market to pick up a few 
things for dinner. As I stood in line I began chatting with 
the couple ahead of me buying a case of wine obviously 
for a party. There was a friendly, festive feel about the 
place. I bid them a Merry Christmas and turned to the 
two fresh-faced high school boys, one for check out, 
one for bagging, and smiled broadly. As the checker 
began scanning my items he inquired as to what I was 
making for Christmas dinner.

'Game hens' I replied, rifling through my huge bag 
looking for the correct plastic cards.

[pregnant pause]

'Scuse me, but did you say gay mens?' they both looked 
at me wide eyed.

I guffawed and heard a distinct echo.

I turned - behind me in line was a fabulously effeminate 
man laughing merrily.

I chortled 'Gay mens?!?!?!' hissing the 'S' slightly for effect.

'I am making Cornish Game Hens!'

The checker quickly back pedaled 'I don't mean to 
offend anybody but I thought you said 'Gay Mens..."

'You didn't offend anybody - THAT was funny!'

I high-fived the fabulously effeminate man, 
all of us now giggling uncontrollably.

Now the bagger chimed in 'I was going to ask how
you prepared that.'

'Well, I think you start somewhere back in the 
womb' I offered.

And as I walked away chuckling I thought of the full 
name of the recipe... 

Fruited Cornish Game Hens


Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

At December 23, 2008 at 6:11 AM , Blogger Laura - Are We Nearly There Yet Mummy? said...

Very funny!

Have a really good Christmas and New Year Merrily!

 
At December 23, 2008 at 9:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! That is priceless! Hope you and your family enjoy your fruity gay mens on Christmas. We're playing it safe and having a rib roast....

 
At December 23, 2008 at 2:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Snort!!!

Fabulously funny!

 
At December 23, 2008 at 3:45 PM , Blogger OhTheJoys said...

Bwa ha ha.

(Even funny the 2nd time.)

See you on the morrow...

 
At December 23, 2008 at 11:05 PM , Blogger Debbie said...

Now that is hysterical! I love the way people in the grocery always ask me what I'm buying and cooking, and how to cook it, etc.

 
At December 24, 2008 at 8:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

gay mens, game hens, both scrumptious!

 
At December 25, 2008 at 5:14 AM , Blogger su said...

Ya just gotta love the little local markets. Since gas became dear, I have been frequenting mine more and more, I have met so many neat locals in the process. Merry Christmas and enjoy your fruited gay mens

 
At December 25, 2008 at 6:22 PM , Blogger Paul said...

Merry Christmas

 
At December 29, 2008 at 11:40 AM , Blogger lusia said...

Hi Friend,Very interesting blog.I visited your site and hope you will do the same.

Software Helper , business studies , Earn Money ,Net Working ,Computer World ,

 
At December 30, 2008 at 8:35 PM , Blogger Jen - Queen of Poo said...

Oh thank you for the laugh today! That was a good one.

 
At December 31, 2008 at 7:59 PM , Blogger undercover caterer said...

faaabulous! happy new year!

 
At January 2, 2009 at 11:42 PM , Blogger alice, uptown said...

I'm surprised you weren't asked if you were glazing them in lavender.... how funny. I bought all the Xmas food, but gave my kitchen to The Brother, who is the chef in the family.

 
At January 7, 2009 at 1:38 PM , Blogger Barb said...

i about laughed so hard i think i might have peed a little.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home