Monday, March 30, 2009

My little girl

She sat in the armchair by the sliding glass doors 
watching and waiting. A look of concern darkening 
her usually happy face.

Bryan and his girlfriend had arrived that evening 
and Alexis had received a phone call about her 
grandfather - he was likely to die at any time. 
Alexis' eyes had teared up and she left out the sliding 
glass door no doubt for some alone time to collect 
herself and have a smoke away where the children 
wouldn't see her.

Dolly waited.

When she came back Dolly gave her one of her 
signature tree frog hugs - legs wrapped around her 
waist and arms thrown tightly around her neck.

Saturday Bryan and Alexis stayed behind while we 
shopped in downtown Disney. The Twinkies free 
birthday passes also came with $63 Disney Dollars 
a piece. Gapetto and the Bunny went one direction 
and the Dolly and I headed off for jewelry.

We looked and looked and added up different things, 
then we looked some more. I thought perhaps she 
just couldn't get over the hump of actually spending 
any of it so I was talking to her about how much 
I knew she REALLY wanted the charm bracelet. 
She quietly led me off in another direction.

Finally we added up her things: one charm bracelet 
and four additional charms, one pink Disney watch 
and a light green necklace with a big 'crystal' jem 
on it - exactly $63. [I threw in the tax money.]

I put the charms on her bracelet and hooked it on 
her wrist, I pulled out the watch and did the same. 

She began to close up the box and put it away.

'Dolly don't you want to wear your pretty necklace?'

She shook her head no.

'It's for Alexis.'

How I love that little girl.


Labels: , , , , , ,

13 Comments:

At March 30, 2009 at 5:15 PM , Blogger Laura - Are We Nearly There Yet Mummy? said...

That's lovely - what a big heart!

 
At March 30, 2009 at 5:21 PM , Blogger Cheffie-Mom said...

You have such a sweet and caring little girl.

 
At March 30, 2009 at 7:55 PM , Blogger Jessica said...

What a big heart in a little girl!

 
At March 30, 2009 at 9:35 PM , Blogger natasha the exile on Mom Street said...

You are raising her right.

A lovely story about a beautiful little girl.

 
At March 30, 2009 at 9:56 PM , Blogger Laura ~Peach~ said...

awww what a sweet heart!

 
At March 31, 2009 at 7:17 AM , Blogger kim-d said...

Oh, how touched Alexis must have been! She would have had me with the tree frog hug alone (I LOVE that!), but the necklace too? What a lovely little Dolly you have there. I am just so touched, I just keep thinking "awwww..."

Thanks for sharing her with us!

 
At March 31, 2009 at 10:39 AM , Blogger Ute said...

Kids are the greatest. :)
My daughter does the tree frog hug too. I love it.

 
At March 31, 2009 at 6:14 PM , Blogger shara said...

What a sweetheart! Wow. I found your sight via Mental P Momma. What a sweet story!

I loved the tree frog hug thing. My kiddos did that when they were younger. It wouldn't be as cute now- they are 16 and 19.

 
At March 31, 2009 at 6:27 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

Things like this make us forget all the trials and tribulations of motherhood, don't they? You have a fine, fine little girl.

 
At April 1, 2009 at 8:10 AM , Blogger Beth Cotell said...

Wow! What a kind and selfless act. Sounds like you have raised a wonderful girl!

 
At April 4, 2009 at 2:26 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Now where is my tissue box? that baby girl is adorable!

 
At April 7, 2009 at 12:57 PM , Blogger carols travel said...

A sweet Iris Princess she is...I can't wait to see her soon.

 
At May 1, 2009 at 2:29 PM , Blogger Jo Anna Guerra said...

Ugh. Sooo touching. I love it when you make me cry!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home